Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Book to TV Adaptation: Are you there Vodka? It's Me Chelsea.

About two years ago I wanted to get back into reading but couldn't find an interesting book to read, so one day my mum (who is a member of a book club) gave me a list of recommendations. One of those books was Are you there Vodka? It's me Chelsea by well-known comedian and late night talkshow host Chelsea Handler. It is a really fantastic and hilarious collection of autobiographical essays of Chelsea's life that I just couldn't put down, personal favourites being  'Prison Break', 'Barking up the Wrong Tree' and 'Jumped'.

Now there is a TV Series coming soon based on Are You there Vodka with the main protagonist Chelsea being played by Laura Prepon (you might know her as Donna from That 70's Show). Chelsea Handler also appears in the show as Chelsea's pregnant older sister. Looks pretty funny but I think I'd enjoy it a lot more without the laughing track.


So there you go. If you like Chelsea Handler and her judgemental humour then definitely read Are You there Vodka. But if you like the look of this sitcom then I suggest you read the book first coz chances are the book's always better than the TV/Film adaptation, unless the show manages to pull it off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment