Monday, July 18, 2011

Book: The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe

I had some money left over from my Dymocks voucher that I got for my birthday last year so during my uni break I went down to the Dymocks shop in the city and after careful consideration, I decided to read The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe, which I found to be a scandalous and enjoyable read. The story is set in New York during 1952 and centres around four young women who work for a publishing house. Caroline, a college or university graduate wants to break out of the typing mould and become an editor. April, a naive girl from the country who loses her innocence and deals with an unplanned pregnancy. Gregg, an aspiring actress has an affair with a playwright but after he dumps her she stalks him and finally there's Barbara, a divorcee working hard to support her daughter Hilary. There is also Mary Agnes who looks forward to her upcoming wedding and becoming a housewife.

Apparently, the book was written back in 1958 and is now resurrected on the shelves of book stores everywhere thanks to the popular TV show Mad Men.   There is even a film adaptation of the book starring Joan Crawford which I now want to see. Now all I have to do is find it on DVD.

This book kinda reminds me of Sex and the City but set in the 1950s. If you like Sex and the City then this book is perfect for you. I've also uploaded the trailer to the film of The Best of Everything. Looks pretty good.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment